A major highlight of EFFA 2013 was the free malaria testing for members of the public that was held alongside the popular open-air screening that took place at the Freedom and Justice Park, Kwame Nkrumah Circle on Saturday, 29th June. With support from the National Malaria Control Programme who provided the test kits, a volunteer medical team from Korle-Bu, tested 127 persons in a period of 3-hours, 11% of who were found to have the malaria parasites representing 14 persons. The other 89%, representing 113 were found to be malaria-free.
The malaria testing is a new addition to the popular open air film screenings at the venue. Also organisers believed this was an innovation to take advantage of the large audience and huge number of transit passengers through Kwame Nkrumah Circle, to provide some solutions to the negative results of environmental degradation. Noting that the breeding of mosquitoes causes environmental diseases such as malaria, EFFA decided to use the occasion to test people for malaria while raising awareness about the damage to our environment.
EFFA is thankful for the maiden support received from the National Malaria Control Programme and is working to make the free malaria screening a regular component of the open-air screenings in the future.